Emergency room in St. Petersburg, Florida
Your safety, above all else - ER 24/7
When every second counts, your family can rely on the emergency room (ER) at St. Petersburg General Hospital. Our experienced emergency specialists deliver efficient, effective care when you need it most, 24/7.
If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 911 immediately. For more information on our emergency services, call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (888) 741-5122.
Experienced ER specialists
On average, our ER assists more than 40,000 patients per year. With this high volume of patients, our emergency team is one of the most experienced in western Florida. Our physicians and nurses have decades of ER experience and use advanced technology to diagnose and treat patients quickly.
High-quality emergency care
We strive to provide our St. Pete community with advanced, patient-centered emergency care. To do this, we offer:
- Collaborative care—Our emergency specialists collaborate with our patients' primary physicians. This allows us to provide individualized care and ensure accurate diagnoses and treatments.
- Critical care services—We specialize in providing initial acute care for a broad spectrum of critical illnesses and injuries that require immediate attention
- Fast and effective care—Our fast track program allows us to quickly care for patients who are less ill than patients needing critical care. With this system, we can provide patients with prompt medical attention.
- Senior emergency care—We provide specialized amenities to our senior patients, and our emergency team is experienced in meeting their unique needs
- Short ER wait times—Our ER wait times consistently beat the national average. This means that we give our patients the treatment they need faster than most hospitals.
- Teleneurology emergency services—With our Teleneurology program, we can provide immediate assistance to patients experiencing stroke symptoms.
Senior emergency care
Our Senior Care ER program offers specialized care for patients 65 years old and older. Our physicians, nurses and designated care managers are trained to provide seniors with the unique emergency care they need. Some of the amenities of our Senior Care ER program include:
- Designated parking
- Hearing and visual aids
- Non-skid flooring for patient safety
- Private waiting area for family and friends
- Refurbished exam rooms with soft lighting and large television screens
Nationally recognized stroke treatment
A stroke is a medical emergency where blood flow to the brain is either reduced or stopped, depriving brain tissue of oxygen. A stroke may cause a loss of brain function and affect movement and speech.
It's essential to act quickly when signs of stroke appear because fast treatment decreases the likelihood of stroke-related disability. As a Primary Stroke Center designated by The Joint Commission, we offer high-quality stroke treatment, 24/7.
Heart attack treatment
A heart attack occurs when blood is prevented from reaching the heart, usually due to a clot. It's important to seek immediate medical attention if heart attack symptoms appear. At our ER, we offer advanced, 24/7 heart attack treatment, state-of-the-art cardiac monitoring and, if necessary, surgical treatments.