Selecting your child's birthplace is one of the most important decisions you will make as parents. Here at St. Petersburg General Hospital, expectant parents can place their confidence in our select team of medical professionals. Years of planning and design are reflected in our innovative family-centered childbirth programs.
Family Beginnings Library
Family Beginnings Commercial
Family Beginnings Commercial - 2
Family Beginnings Commercial in Spanish
Family Beginnings Commercial - 2 - in Spanish
Sarah Chose St. Pete General Hospital for her First Baby in a Hospital
We Chose St. Petersburg General Hospital to Have Our Baby
- All staff nurses are required to participate in lactation education.
- All staff nurses are required to maintain Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification
- State-of-the art infant security system
- Complimentary birth certificate with infant's footprints
Our mothers-to-be are pampered in beautiful, private birthing rooms and postpartum rooms, where Dad is a welcome partner. Babies are welcome to room-in, and new families bond in comfort and privacy while cared for by an attentive nursing staff.
Labor & Delivery Services
- Nursing support for your choice of birth options
- Downloadable Birth Plan – print out and give to your physician
- Secured unit for the safety of our patients and their babies
- LDR's for laboring and delivery
- Fetal monitoring with centralized viewing at nurses' station
- Birthing beds
- Cesarean section/delivery rooms
Our staff's primary responsibility is to care for your baby, and provide you with basic knowledge to enable you to care for your newborn.
- Baby's first assessment is in the delivery room
- Family centered care allows baby to stay with mom as much as she desires
Loading Meet Our Staff
St. Petersburg General Hospital has elected to provide comprehensive prenatal education classes to meet your busy lifestyle. All classes are free.
To register, please click on the links below or call,
OB Preview Tour
This class is designed for pregnant women planning to deliver at SPGH. In addition to the tour, you will learn everything you need to know to plan for your hospital stay and delivery. Women are encouraged to bring their support person(s) to tour with them.
Preparing for Breastfeeding
For women planning to breastfeed, this class is devoted to helping make breastfeeding a positive experience for both mom and baby. Your support person is encouraged to attend.
Prepared Childbirth Education
This course covers the latest techniques to prepare you for your childbirth experience, including relaxation and breathing, pain management, coping with unexpected events, and the immediate post-partum period.
Both parents are encouraged to spend an enjoyable evening learning baby care basics, such as bonding with their baby through every day routines. Newborn characteristics, growth and development, infant safety, and the joys of parenting are discussed.
Breastfeeding Support Group
Taught by one of our International Board Certified Lactation Consultants, this class include topics like benefits of the breastfeeding, techniques, education and facts, as well as meeting other moms just like you!
If you’re about to become a dad, this class is for you! Learn everything from how to hold your infant, diapering, bathing and what to do in an emergency.