Understanding Binge Eating Disorder in Men
Defining Binge Eating Disorder
- A sense of lack of control over eating during the episode
- Eating until they feel uncomfortably full
- Eating large amounts of food when they do not physically feel hungry
- Eating alone because of embarrassment at how much they are eating
- Feeling disgusted with themselves, depressed, or very guilty after overeating
Risk Factors for Binge Eating Disorder
- Problems dealing with emotions, such as anger, sadness, worry, or boredom
- Rigid, inflexible, controlling, perfectionist
- Difficulty expressing feelings and needs
- Avoids conflict and works hard to please others
- Sensitivity to critical comments about weight, appearance, or body shape
- Low self-esteem
- Past experience with being bullied
- Social isolation
How to Get Help
- Cognitive behavioral therapy or behavioral counseling (alone or with a group) to find and control triggers
- Counseling to achieve and maintain a healthy weight
- Treatment of any underlying disorders that contribute binge eating
- Antidepressants—rebalances brain chemicals associated with mood
- Anticonvulsants—helps control binge eating episodes
- Anti-obesity medications—helps control appetite
National Eating Disorders Organization http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org
Overeaters Anonymous https://www.oa.org
Mental Health Canada http://www.mentalhealthcanada.com
National Eating Disorders Information Centre (NEDIC) http://nedic.ca
Males and eating disorders. National Eating Disorders website. Available at: http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/binge-eating-disorder-males. Accessed October 21, 2014.
Binge eating disorder. National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders website. Available at: http://www.anad.org/get-information/about-eating-disorders/binge-eating-disorder. Accessed October 21, 2014.
Binge eating. Weight-control Information Network website. Available at http://www.win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/binge.htm. Updated December 2012. Accessed October 21, 2014.
Manwaring JL, Hilbert A, Wilfley, DE, et al. Risk factors and patterns of onset in binge eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord. 2006;39(2):101-107.
Marazziti D, Corsi M, et al. Latest advancements in the pharmacological treatment of binge eating disorder. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2012;16(15):2102-2107.
Reas DL, Grilo CM: Review and meta-analysis of pharmacotherapy for binge-eating disorder. Obesity. 2008;16(9):2024-2038.
Reas DL, Grilo CM. Timing and sequence of the onset of overweight, dieting, and binge eating in overweight patients with binge eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord. 2007;40(2):165-170.
Sysko R, Walsh BT: A critical evaluation of the efficacy of self-help interventions for the treatment of bulima nervosa and binge-eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord. 2008;41:97-112.
Vocks S, Tuschen-Caffier B, Pietrowsky R, Rustenbach SJ, Kersting A, Herpertz S. Meta-analysis of the effectiveness of psychological and pharmacological treatments for binge eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord. 2010;43(3):205-217.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 10/2014 -
- Update Date: 10/21/2014 -