The St. Petersburg General Hospital Graduate Medical Education Program prides itself on teaching and involving medical students in patient care. Students are often surprised by the variety of patients seen and the amount of procedures performed at our facility. Many students also return as residents to our program. We offer students a broad array of clinical rotations that foster growth of medical knowledge through direct patient-care experiences.
We are a core training site for the Bradenton campus of Lake Erie College of Medicine (LECOM).We also accept applications from 4th year medical students from all other AOA accredited osteopathic medical schools for Family Medicine Residency audition rotation from July - December.
Scheduling of all medical student rotations is arranged through the Medical Education Office in conjunction with the various departments. Please contact Julie Babiuk-Flaherty at (727) 341-4919 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule all student rotations.
1. Do you offer audition rotations? Yes! We offer 4th year medical students that are interested in our Family Medicine Residency program a 4-week rotation that gives you 2 weeks of clinical experience in our Continuity of Care Clinic; and 2 weeks of Hospital Medicine experience with our Hospital Medicine Team. We schedule these rotations July – December.
2. What other type of clerkship opportunities do you offer? Our clerkship opportunities are limited to our selected core group of students from LECOM – Bradenton and Family Medicine Residency audition rotations.
3. When can I start applying for an audition rotation? Dates fill up quickly, so it is in your best interest to make arrangements as far in advance as you can. As a general rule, you will need to schedule at least 3 months in advance. Students must complete a clerkship application, complete orientation paperwork, and submit a residency application via ERAS prior to the scheduled start of the rotation.
4. What is the latest time that I can cancel or modify the dates of my clerkship rotation? Cancellations or date modification requests should be made as far in advance as possible. Cancellations with little or no notice are taken seriously. If no valid reason is given, it may result in a call to your Dean of Student Affairs, and inability to schedule future rotations at St. Petersburg General Hospital. Days off during an audition rotation are frowned upon, and must be approved in advance.
5. Do you provide housing or other benefits for clerkships? Housing, health insurance, and liability insurance are all the responsibility of the student. Our coordinators can suggest some resources, but they cannot secure housing for you.
General Information for Medical Students
Location of Hospital
St. Petersburg General Hospital is centrally located in St. Petersburg Florida at 6500 38th Ave North.
Medical Students eat free in our hospital cafeteria while on duty.
All students must wear their (clean) white jackets with medical school insignias. Male students should wear a dress shirt and tie. Female students should wear a professional-looking blouse and slacks. Exceptions to this rule will be made only when a student is on a service that requires wearing scrubs. Hospital ID badge must worn at all times.
Length of Services
All services must be scheduled for a minimum of four weeks.
Hours of Work
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. or as designated by the service.
All medical students, even if rotating off-site, are required to be at Morning Report Mon – Thurs @7am; and at Didactics every Friday 8am – Noon. Certain rotations are given exception at the coordinators discretion. Repeated unexcused absences will result in notification to your academic affairs office and possible denial of future rotations at St. Pete General.
All students are required to use the hospital’s Shuttle Service, which operates to and from Northside Baptist Church. Round trips are estimated to take approximately 10 minutes. The church is located approximately 1 mile east of St. Petersburg General Hospital on 38th Avenue North. The shuttle operates Monday through Friday 6:00am to 8:00pm. There is an incentive program for those using the offsite parking.
St. Petersburg General Hospital requires:
- Letter of good standing from your Dean's Office
- Immunization record
- One passport-sized photograph
- Certification of professional insurance
- Background check