September 14, 2011
St Petersburg, FL - The Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS) has granted a Three-Year Accreditation with Four Commendations to the Cancer Program at St Petersburg General Hospital.
The hospital receives this accreditation with commendations following the on-site evaluation by a physician surveyor and demonstrates a Commendation level of compliance with one or more standards that represent the full scope of the cancer program (cancer committee leadership, cancer data management, clinical services, research, community outreach and quality improvement). St Petersburg General Hospital received four out of five commendations in National Cancer Data Base (NCDB) quality data submission, prevention and early detection, education of cancer registry staff and quality improvements.
St Petersburg General Hospital is now part of the select group of 25% of the 1400 CoC-accredited hospitals in the US and Puerto Rico that diagnose and/or treat 71% of newly diagnosed cancer patients each year.
Receiving care at St Petersburg General Hospital ensures that a patient will have access to:
- Comprehensive care, including a range of state-of-the-art services and equipment
- A multispecialty, team approach to coordinate the best treatment options
- Information about ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options
- Access to cancer-related information, education and support
- A cancer registry that collects data on type and state of cancers and treatment results
- Ongoing monitoring and improvement of care
- Quality care close to home
The Accreditation Program, a component of the CoC, sets quality-of-care standards for cancer programs and reviews the programs to ensure they conform to those standards. Accreditation by the CoC is given only to those facilities that have voluntarily committed to providing the highest level of quality cancer care and that undergo a rigorous evaluation process and review of their performance. To maintain accreditation, facilities with CoC-accredited cancer programs must undergo an on-site review every three years.
Marketing & Public Relations Contact:
(727)384-1414 Direct | Email